Thursday 12 September 2013

Martha Short's Context and Narraitve

I’ve been re-reading Maria Short’s book Context and Narrative and several questions have rose their head about where I need to take my photography.  How do I communicate my ideas visually? How do I do this more effectively? How do I bring a concept to life? How do I ensure audience engagement?  

According to Short to be a photographer…”you need to be passionate about communicating ‘something’, as this will inform every choice you make in relation to your work.” She continues, “you also need to to interested in the world around you; you need to be interested in things beyond photography. The substance of the work is in your commitment to your subject, as this will show in your photographs, this commitment will make your photographs breathe; this is how your personalise your work.  If you are clear about why you are photographing your subject then you can choose how to photograph your subject, and in turn this should help your audience interpret the photograph.”

I believe that somewhere along this course I lost direction and my work suffered as a result.  On occasions perhaps I had too much to say and on others not enough.  I do feel though that towards the latter part of this course I found that I lacked 'commitment' to my subject.  Or maybe my subject was too big to commit to and I became overwhelmed and confused about the message I was communicating.

So in order to address this I am going back to basics.

There’s a three-way relationship between photographer, subject and audience – a communication triangle if you like.  The treatment of the subject by the photographer and the visual language applied has a direct influence on how the audience interprets the picture in front of them or if they care to interpret it at all. 

Picture making is not divorced from the photographer’s life experiences and beliefs.  In many images the influence of the photographer is apparent.  They construct the image, it is a trace of what they see and how they want the audience to render meaning from it.

Due to a lot of personal issues in the last few months I feel that I have been temporarily separated from my work.  I was not able to fully engage.  I think this cane be seen in the work I was producing.

So here I am again turning to this book and asking myself:

What is a photograph?

It is an image of the past, a moment that was captured and frozen in time.  It is a document of what happened or what was present. 

Photographs can be simply records, like medical or forensic images, or they can be something more.  They can tell a story.
The key to a successful photograph is engaging with the subject. 

A photograph is a way of expressing an idea, of developing a concept and of storytelling.

What is narrative?

A narrative is basically a way of telling a story.  It usually has a beginning, middle and end.  In photography, a visual narrative works slightly differently.  It can have the basic structure of beginning, middle and end or it might simply imply what has happened in the past or is about to occur.  It may be a fictional interpretation of a given person, place, thing or moment. 

Linear narrative
In photography a narrative can take be communicated in a linear sense, but it can also be cyclical.  It can be a series or images or a single one.  It can be a collection of images that only make sense when brought together. 

Visual continuity
Images can be linked by using visual continuity whether that is weather, subject, location or another linking factor. 

Sequential narratives
Narratives can also be sequential stories or journeys like a pilgrimage that takes you from A to B. 

Visual punctuation

Visual punctuation includes the breaking of the sequence by including a black and white image or one of a different size – something that interrupts the flow.  It can be a one off. 

Juxtaposition can help raise an argument or present a question; the tension between hot and cold, light and dark for example.

The eye of the camera also plays a role.  Is the eye a fourth wall, the eye of the subject or the eye of the viewer/audience?

Symbols and signs

The study of signs is called semiotics. 
To familiarise use with the models and terminology we can look at the work of two philosophers.

Ferdinand de Saussure
Dyadic approach.  The signifier (form which the sign takes) and the signified (the idea/concept it represents).  

Charles Sanders Peirce
Three tiered approach
Representament – the form the sign takes
Interpretant – the sense made of the sign
Object – to which the sign refers. 

Barthes on a more basic level looked at the ‘studium’ which he described as the general interest in an image and the ‘punctum’ which arrests the attention. 

Symbol

Something that represents something else.  In this case the signifier does not represent the signified – this relationship must be learned like rules or language.

Icons

The signifier is perceived as resembling the signified or imitating the signified.  For example, in a portrait, cartoon, with gestures or sound effects etc.

Indexicality

Indexical signifier is physically or casually linked to the signified.  This link can be observed or inferred.  Natural signs like smoke = heat, footprints = footsteps. 
Indexicality is very important to photography because it is a literal ‘trace’ of the original subject according to Peirce.

 Visual Metaphor

Use of a subject as a visual metaphor for something the photographer wishes to express.  This can be seen in the work of Short herself in her collection Gall. In this body of work she uses a horse as a visual metaphor to “express how I felt about the challenges that faced young women in relation to their sense of identity and social placing.”

This enabled her to raise questions such as “when is protection suppression? When is freedom a cliché?”


By going back to basics I believe that I can overcome the problems I've been having and get back on track.  

No comments:

Post a Comment