Thursday 27 June 2013

Ancestry.com

As part of my research for assignment 5 I have been looking at census records of Irish migrants.  I have to say I never thought that I would become interested in genealogy websites but I am addicted to ancestry.com now.

I find it fascinating that we have so much information about these people from 1841 onwards.  It is interesting to see what they did for a living, where they lived and the families they had.  Many of their occupations are obsolete today.

Although the census data gives you a good insight into the lives of these people it just doesn't go far enough so you find yourself trying to fill in the pieces.  You find yourself wondering what the people were like, what they looked like, did they marry for love or convenience.  Most of this we will never know.

I have enjoyed the research I have done for this assignment.  It has proved to be an eye-opener and also a refresher course for my Irish history.  Who knows I may even find some of my relations??

No comments:

Post a Comment