Monday 7 October 2013

100 Ideas that Changed Photography

I first saw a review of this book on the OCA student website and it seemed like a book that I would find interesting.



The book essentially presents 100 ideas that changed photography.  The author, Mary Warner Marien,  is quick to point out that this is not a comprehensive list.  It is clear that there are probably hundreds more ideas that have had some influence on photography but this is a good starting point.

I see the book as a combination of a primer and reference book.  Although the ideas are presented in a chronological order it falls short of a history of photography book as it lacks the required depth in my opinion.

As a photography book it provides a more holistic view of the medium.  It includes the various inventions in photography from the first camera to the polaroid and the most recent addition - the camera phone.  It also looks at how other media influenced photography like the television.

What I liked about the book

  • It is more visual that text heavy which was a welcome relief after some of the books I have been studying recently.  
  • Introduces the reader to bite sized pieces of information about themes and developments in photography therefore acting as a good starting point should you wish to explore further. 
  • Provides a good overview of photography
  • Good quality images
  • Easy to read and understand
What I learnt from the book
I learnt a lot more about the darkroom and printing processes which was an area that I would consider myself weak.  Although not particularly relevant to my workflow as I shoot digital I have found a better understanding of the print processes has helped a great deal when looking at the work of others and when visiting exhibitions.  

I also feel that I have given a lot more thought to the future of photography and where it may be heading after reading this book.  My reading for this course has included a lot about the history of photography and I feel that I haven't looked at photography today as much as I should do.

it reminded me of the various uses of photography and I especially enjoyed looking at the medium in relation to advertising and documentary.



I would recommend this book to anyone.  I feel that it is a good reference book that is easy to dip in and out of and in appeals to the student and the casual reader.  

No comments:

Post a Comment